For men who have experienced sexual abuse or assault
Here at Living Well we have historically run our sexual abuse support groups for men throughout the year. Presently we do not have staff capacity to run our therapeutic men’s groups for the foreseeable future, however we are continuing to run the monthly drop in group.
Monthly drop in mens’ support groups
These groups are for men who have already attended counselling with a Living Well counsellor.
The drop-in group is a more casual catch up and support group and, while they are held on a monthly basis, there is no commitment or expectation involved. You are free to “drop in” whenever you feel like attending. Each group can be rather different to the next, but it always seems to be of enormous benefit to the men (of all ages) who attend.
While we know that joining a group can feel more than a little daunting, the feedback we have received from those men who have participated is that it has been very helpful and they would highly recommend it.
Topics that may be covered
- Building a safe, solid base for you in the present.
- Talking about and working through pressures men face following sexual abuse.
- Leaving behind unhelpful thoughts and behaviours, such as dealing with feelings of anger, guilt and shame.
- Addressing the impact of silence and secrecy.
- Prioritising ways of looking after yourself when talking with others.
- Putting aside self doubt in favour of increased understanding and self compassion.
- Making supportive connections.
- Developing respectful relationships.
How to join
The sexual abuse support groups are open to all men, over 18 years of age, who have previously seen (or are currently seeing) a counsellor at Living Well. Men wishing to begin this process can call (07) 3028 4648.