We carry with us our 5 senses – touch, taste, smell, hearing and sight – but we often register those sensations unconsciously. Using these tools, we can become aware, accepting and mindful of the external world. We can only see, smell, touch, taste and hear in the present.
Mindfulness of the external world mp3
These are exercises in noticing what is around us:
- Sight: Look around you and name as you look at 5 different objects (variation: 5 blue/black/green objects), then do the same for 4 of those 5 objects, 3 of those 5 objects, etc.
- Sight & Touch: Look at, name and touch 5 different objects, noticing their texture, temperature, mass and weight as you do so. Then do the same for 4 of those objects, 3 of those objects, etc.
- Sight, Touch and Smell/Taste: Look at (in a garden or a kitchen), name, taste and smell 5 different objects, noticing their colours, texture, taste and aroma. Then do the same for 4 of those objects, 3, 2, and 1.
- Hearing: Close your eyes and listen for 5 different sounds. Then 4, 3, 2, and 1.
Other Exercises on the External World
- Mindfulness on washing the dishes
- Mindfulness on walking
- Mindfulness on sitting in the garden
- Mindfulness on driving a car through traffic
- Notice physical sensations through the body – sights, smells, sounds, tastes, touch/sensations.
Listen to the MP3 and/or download the PDF worksheet below.
Mindfulness of the External World [ 38 kB]
Download the mp3 [7.6 mB]
To download the mp3 to your computer, right-click the link and select “Save as.”
Other mindfulness exercises
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Mindfulness of the external world
- 3. Eating mindfulness
- 4. Walking mindfulness
- 5. Breathing mindfulness
- 6. Body scan
- 7. External world and breath
- 8. Mindfulness of thoughts
- 9. Thoughts sensations and emotions
- 10. Compassion mindfulness
- 11. Mountain meditation
- 12. Alternate nostril breathing
- 13. Mindfulness of physical discomfort
- 14. Mindfulness of difficult thoughts
- 15. Empty bowl meditation
Get the mobile version
The mindfulness exercises are one of the features available in the free Living Well App for iPhone and Android. Be mindful anywhere, anytime.